The Blue Ringed Octopus is one of the most venomous marine animals. Despite its small size, 12 – 20cm, their venom is capable of killing 26 adults within minutes. Their venom is a powerful tetrododoxin found in their saliva, which affects the nervous system and causes severe paralysis, leaving the victim unable to breathe. Because the bite is small and often painless many victims do not realize they have been bitten. It is possible to survive a Blue Ringed Octopus bite with artificial respiration.